Monday, May 25, 2009

spluttering

i feel like i'm always ill. at the moment its a nasty litle head cold, making me sound like a cross between demi moore and a combat elephant. i've been working hard, honest. lots of stuff has been done, i swearz.

but apart from the endless frustration of university (they're letting me into 2nd year next semester, on the condition i tell no one the secret of the empa office starwars saga...oops.) i've been rather cultured. well. if knitting counts. i've learnt how to do a purl stitch, and how to maintain purl stitches! its funny how something so simple makes me feel so wonderful. after a shitty history tutorial, it's nice to know i can sit on the train and knit my way home, and see what it is that i'm creating. Lizzle's mum is going to teach me to crotchet next weekend, and i want to start thinking about making a blanket for my bed. i haven't decided on colours, all i know is i don't want it to look too seventies or hospitally.

Lizzler and I have been busy doing Ladies About Town things. This has included seeing Paris 36, which was charming, going to galleries and nodding in an artsy fashion, taking photos of things, ranting about books, laughing about my Ryan Ross dress, going to the MCA Zine Fair and so on.

We also went to see Samson and Delilah. this film is being touted as "the Australia Baz Lurhman should have made". I'm not quite sure I agree. the film is set in the Northern Territory, and is about two teenagers, Samson and Delilah. it's sort of a love story, but it's more sort of a look at the life of indigenous Australians in remote parts of their country. i found it hard going. there's not a lot of dialog, which i always find frustrating. and things just keep getting worse for poor Delilah. i agree that it's an important film, but i hate the fact that a film seems to need to be difficult for it to be important.

having said that, i'm a little unimpressed by the offerings of the Sydney Film Festival this year. it starts next week, and as an early 21st, my grandmother has given me 20 tickets. the only film i really really want to see is a short film about little dinosaurs who get bullied by a big dinosaur. its a kids film, so does anyone have a child aged 6 or up that i could take?

in between Kissinger (it never ever ends,that book) and Hamlet, i'm reading "HEY NIETZSCHE, LEAVE THEM KIDS ALONE" which is a look at how the emo music genre has its roots in the Romantic movement. the premise was scoffed at by most of the people i suggested it to, but it's really a fascinating read that, so far, seems to be more about what a wanker Lord Byron was than how Gerard Way is out to kill himself and everyone else. despite my previous claims that My Chemical Romance were out to get me, i sort of feel that perhaps what they were really trying to do was befriend me, in their own awkward way. Panic at the Disco, on the other hand, have no excuses. they want me dead, and i have a post all about it coming up as soon as i find my camera cord.

i just realised that my toes were very cold, and from that i conclude that it's bedtime.

1 comment:

lizzle said...

costume shop = best shop ever!!!